Northside Baptist Church
Friday, November 28, 2014
To Be Used of God
Northside Baptist Church; in Gaffney, SC; began when Rev. Joe C. Belcher held a tent meeting on Granard Street and started a mission. He shepherded the mission until she was organized as Northside Baptist Church on October 25, 1953 with 49 charter members. Bro. Belcher was pastor until December 26, 1954.
The church called Rev. Vernon W. Bishop as its first full-time pastor in January 1955. He served as Pastor for seven years, 1955 through March 1962. In April 1962, Dr. Edward McAbee was called as pastor and served for 50 years from April 1962 through May 2012.
In 1954 the church building was built by Northside on North Granard street under the ministry of Bro. Joe Belcher.
Our present building located at 944 North Logan Street was built under the ministry of Dr. Edward McAbee.
Northside Baptist Church began as a Southern Baptist Convention church, but is now an independent missionary, Great Commission Church, reaching into many nations of the world by personal witness, radio ministry, and Bible training for pastors and evangelists. Since the Annual World Mission Conference began in 1964, preachers and missionaries from around the world have come to Northside to preach and to share their vision of world missions. The Faith Promise Offering for mission support also began in 1964. Northside has helped build 28 churches and through the years has supported missionaries on every continent.
The radio ministry, Showers of Blessings,began in 1964 as a one broadcast per week ministry and has grown into an international missionary radio ministry reaching around the world with the Gospel by the means of shortwave, FM, AM, and local broadcasts.
The Believer's Institute for Biblical Studies began as a result of the many requests for Bible studies from listeners of the broadcasts. The radio ministry has supplied Bible correspondence courses for students in 29 countries of the world, with an enrollment of over 24,000 students. Through the years, Northside has provided free Bibles to listeners who have requested them. In January 2000, Dr. McAbee began the local BIBS ministry by teaching classes at Northside Baptist Church in order to help train pastors, teachers, and laypeople in the local area. The training center at 301 Holland Street was built in 2001.
Northside Baptist Church was one of the founders of the Cherokee County Camp Meeting, which began as an effort to bring the local churches together for good, old-fashioned Bible preaching. CCCM now has a tabernacle located on Highway 18 in a centralized location for four counties.
Northside preaches and uses the King James Version of the Bible without apology. We are a Bible centered church. We use hymnals with hymns and songs true to the Bible. All our teaching and outreach literature is Bible centered.